Dear Buyean,

I totally agree with what David Wack wrote - misalignment between
transmission and emission can be a major problem. I also agree
co-registration will be better suited than realignment.

You don't say which tracer you work with, but it must be one with slow
kinetics seeing your acquisition timing :-) . If you use a "cortical"
tracer with lots of signal in the outer parts of the brain, your
proposed technique might already work "as is". Particularly if you're
using a "subcortical" tracer, however, where signal is more or less
confined to the basal ganglia (or the limbic system,...), or if you use
a "cortical" tracer with heterogenous kinetics, your late frames are
likely to look so different from early frames that even mutual
information co-registration may run into problems. Two strategies may
help to correct post hoc (assuming you do not have independent movement
detection data e.g. from Polaris or other systems):

1.	Improving your signal through wavelet denoising - see e.g.

Hammers A, Asselin M-C, Turkheimer FE, Hinz R, Osman S, Hotton G, Brooks
DJ, Duncan JS, Koepp MJ. Balancing bias, reliability, noise properties
and the need for parametric maps in quantitative ligand PET:
[11C]diprenorphine test-retest data. Neuroimage 2007, 38(1):82-94.

(You correctly wondered about what happens to actual values after
co-registration and, therefore, necessarily reslicing the dynamic
images. Note a reviewer made us take out the detailed results of the
movement correction procedure, but importantly, the parametric values
obtained after applying the model did not change in those subjects
without substantial movements - this is now briefly mentioned in
Methods, p. 85 col.I).

2.	Getting a reliable "outer ring" through using non-attenuation
corrected images - see e.g.

Montgomery, A.J., Thielemans, K., Mehta, M.A., Turkheimer, F.,
Mustafovic, S., Grasby, P.M., 2006. Correction of head movement on PET
studies: comparison of methods. J. Nucl. Med. 47, 1936-1944.

- or a combination of the two.

Sorry about only quoting work from our place - you'll find references to
others' important contributions in the papers cited.

Good luck and I hope this helps,

Alexander