Paddy Fumerton has asked me to pass on to the list the sad news that
Richard Helgerson, after a valiant--a truly extraordinarily
courageous--battle with pancreatic cancer has died. His grace under
this pressure was both heartbreaking and heart-strengthening. He was
teaching and working almost to the very end, sustained by the
friendship and love of many, not least Paddy herself, and I like to
think still warmed by the thought of the Spenser Society's tribute to
him and our panel in his honor at the MLA. He is survived by his
family but also by his wonderful books and his many grateful students
and colleagues. I am copying Paddy in case anyone wants to reach her.
She asked me to add the url on which you can find an obit: http://
emc.english.ucsb.edu
      Anne Prescott.