From: Alan Rayner (BU) <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, 27 April, 2008 1:51:42 PM
Subject: Fw: Rationalist value and inclusional worth

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Rayner (BU)
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:51 PM
Subject: Rationalist value and inclusional worth

Dear All,

On p. 62 of 'The Gift: How the Creative Spirit Transforms the World', by Lewis Hyde, I came across these sentences:

'... I would begin the analysis by saying that a commodity has value and a gift does not. A gift has worth.... I mean 'worth' to refer to those things we prize and yet say 'you can't put a price on it'. We derive value, on the other hand, from the comparison of one thing with another'

This resonates with a sense of disquiet I often feel when people talk about 'values' and 'what is truly valuable in life'. It may also link with perceptions of 'valueless junk' and how people who are judged or judge themselves to be 'unsuccessful' often feel 'worthless'.

Maybe there is a worthwhile distinction to be made here, which also links to 'transfigural numbers' that can have different values yet all have the same worth - since they are distinct but not discrete local inclusions of non-local space.

Perhaps an inclusional 'value' lies in the recognition that in a nature where each is an inclusion of all and vice versa, 'different value' need not signify 'different worth'.

Just a thought....  that we should not confuse worth with value ....

Warmest

Alan