Jack -

You say: " ... working with Foucault's idea of Power/Knowledge I don't
believe that I can break free from  the pressures of constraining
influences in our cultures - in the sense of becoming independent  from
them -  but that I can be aware of these influences in seeking to transcend
them."

Looking at my BERA Review (2000) I see a way ahead through Robert Donmoyer
(1996)who speaks about the need to "... figure out how to play the
gatekeeper role at a time when there is little consensus in the field about
what research is and what scholarly discourse should look like."  He
describes the two approaches to gate keeping that have worked against the
encouragement of a humane and open-minded approach to educational research:
the Traditional Response (we talk sense; 'they' talk rubbish) and the
Balkanization Response (leave 'them' to get on with their business while we
get on with ours).

I identify two extreme forms of educational researcher. At the one extreme,
there are those who look to cognitive psychologists and neuroscientists to
"soon produce something finer" (Hargreaves 1996) and who express their
ideas propositionally and in terms of concepts that have a direct
connection to demonstrable phenomena and concrete particulars. At the other
extreme, there are those who try to express the dialectical and relational
art of their lives as literary works that are allusively couched in terms
of story telling and metaphor.  I suspect that the 'objectivising-thinkers'
adopt the Traditional Response (we talk sense; 'they' talk rubbish) to the
'subjectivising-feelers'; the reverse view is based on the Balkanization
Response (leave 'them' to get on with their business while we get on with
ours). There is no dialogue and no understanding, particularly from those
who make the Traditional Response from their current position of political
power within the educational establishment.

Donmoyer then describes a third way, quoting from the conclusions Richard
Bernstein (1993) suggests should be drawn from the debates about
incommensurability:

" ... to listen carefully, to use ... linguistic, emotional, and cognitive
imagination to grasp what is being expressed and said in 'alien' traditions
... [without] either facilely assimilating what others are saying to our
own categories and language ... or dismissing ... [it] as incoherent
nonsense."

The words of this 'ethical imperative' turn me back to revisit Pam Lomax's
(1999)contention that respect is the cornerstone of evidence-based
professionalism - respect as understood by Jean Rudduck (1995) to inform
the general principles that  underpin good research i.e. respect for
democratic values, respect for persons, respect for the integrity  of our
acts at every level of the professional enterprise, and respect for
evidence.

So how do we open a dialogue of respect?

- Pete