Cathie - what an inspirational posting!  You give me the confidence to  do
what I felt at first unwilling to: to offer a contrasting perspective to the
few cautionary voices that have appeared in this thread and to urge another (in
this case Louise) to trust to her innermost urgings and give vent to these in
 her choice of research methodology/story-telling.  My own experience has
many resonances to her own - but in my case I was 'stuck' on my doctoral
write-up for three years, with all the data to hand that had been gathered in an
easy, traditional, positivistic framework.  These did not, however, speak  to my
condition and I found it easy to put off the write-up to another  day.  A
chance meeting with Jack led to a transformation of my  research.  Registered as
I was at a university with no strong tradition of  familiarity with or
encouragement of non-traditional forms of scholarship  (albeit with a few happy
exceptions within the dept.), I did need to  put my case strongly at the time of
the appointment of external examiners, that  I wanted my research story to be
examined (rigorously) by scholars with a  back-story of openness to
non-traditional forms of  knowledge-generation.  I'm delighted to recount that this is
indeed what  happened: my viva was simultaneously warm, brutal, challenging,
fair,  penetrating, and real.  Above all, I felt that I was given an  opportunity
to be heard and understood - which was what I most wanted.  I  can genuinely
say that what I got out of my research was acquired through the  process of
living it.  The happy secondary gift was that I passed  too.

In completing my doctorate the way I felt I most wanted and needed to,  I
took comfort from the words of the cyclist Lance Armstrong, "The real  reward for
pain is self-knowledge.  When you feel like giving up, you have  to ask
yourself which you would rather live with.  What the Tour de France  teaches you is
that pain is temporary.   Quitting is forwever."

Warm regards,

Barry

Dr Barry  Hymer
Director, still thinking uk ltd
Visiting Fellow,  Centre for Learning and Teaching (CfLaT), Newcastle
University
_www.barryhymer.co.uk_ (http://www.barryhymer.co.uk/)

"The truly great advances  of this generation will be made by those who can
make outrageous connections,  and only a mind which knows how to play can do
that." (Nagle  Jackson)

"I'm a playing boy, not a working boy." (Tom,  5)