From: Cathie Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:49:37 +0100
Subject: Re: The Simplistic Nature of Favouritism - and How It Produces 'Junk' (fwd)

Dear All

I've read this thread with a great deal of humility and pain for it
speaks quite a lot to my experience at the moment - both positive and
negative.  I had hoped at several points to contirbute but hesitated too
long... and life inserted itself over the last few days, as it does!  I
just wanted to say though that I've learned an enormous amount from
these exchanges and they have been an affective experience for me too,
not least in listening to how aspects of experience are being connected,
disconnected and reconnected!  Thank you - its been the best bit of
elearning I have done and the most worthwhile struggle with IT phobias
that I have had!

all the best
Cathie

Dr Cathie Pearce
Research Fellow
ESRI
MMU

tel: 0161 247 2074

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read
the
Manchester Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its
website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer
>>> Alan Rayner <[log in to unmask]> 04/21/08 10:43 AM >>>
Dear All,

Further to this, I now feel that I/we may now be positioned to explain
my/our living educational practice in terms of receptively and
responsively
communicating the evolutionary understanding of life as:

a gift of natural inclusion in co-creative energy flow, to be held and
passed on with love and care, not a possession or trophy to be competed
for.

Warmest

Alan

--On 21 April 2008 07:33 +0100 "Alan Rayner (BU)"
wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I feel this message from Ted Lumley, via the inclusional discussion
> group, points to something very significant:
>
> The difference between viewing life as a 'gift' of natural inclusion
in
> energy flow to be 'passed on'
>
> and
>
> viewing life as a possession, which leads to the objective comparison
of
> its 'owners'' 'worth' as commodities in terms of their individual
> desirability, accompanied by 'selecting the best and rubbishing the
> rest', which blocks the gift flow.
>

> Warmest
>
> Alan
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Rayner (BU)"
> <[log in to unmask]> To:
> Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 7:20 AM
> Subject: Fw: The Simplistic Nature of Favouritism - and How It
Produces
> 'Junk' (fwd)
>

>> dear christine and alan,
>>
>> i strongly relate to what you say, christine; e.g;
>>
>> "On the face of it we are getting away from the subject of the
>> simplistic nature of junk and favouritism, yet it is this harmony
>> (that we perceive in the painting) that is inherently 'wholesome' and
>> is not junk.  If I am to make my research 'art-based research' I
would
>> assert that every part of a painting feeds the overall experience of
>> looking at a painting.  Every part matters.  If we transfer that
>> notion to society what do we find?  Workers who have aided an economy
>> and are then dismissed arbitrarily as if they don't matter?  Workers
>> who die because of the lack of safeguards, or more strictly speaking,
>> where health and safety, while admitted as part of the safety
climate,
>> is dismissed as part of the safety culture? "
>>
>> ... and also to your 'spate attack' alan,
>>
>> in the metaphors that come spontaneously to my mind, the weather
cells
>> in the atmosphere give me this same impression of simultaneous
spatial-
>> relational meaning that wraps around into itself to 'complete itself
>> in an unending flow'.  it is impossible to get to this meaning 'by
>> ascribing meaning to parts'.
>>
>> when individuals are 'full of grace' or 'in harmony with the world,
>> they are like this, like convection cells in the cluster that forms
>> from the energy of flow, each one giving sense to every other and to
>> the emerging dynamical form, the unfolding contextual
>> transformation.
>>
>> if life is continuing contextual transformation, the unfolding
>> dynamical form, like the weather cell or whirl in the fluid
continuum,
>> embodies its dynamical medium, at the same time as it gives
embodiment
>> to it.
>>
>> there is no way to take apart embodied and embodying; i.e. to take
>> apart 'being' and 'becoming'.
>>
>> to me, there is parallel understanding in the parallel thread on
>> 'evolutionary hotspots'.
>>
>> 'natural selection' is an abstraction that endows the 'embodied
being'
>> with a 'locally originating survival purpose' and the 'embodying
fluid
>> medium' with the power to set up an obstacle course to test and judge
>> the 'performance' of the 'embodied being' in its (notional)
purposeful
>> pursuit of survival and thus to 'separate the wheat from the chaff';
>> i.e. the 'favourites' from the 'junk' as if some of the brushstrokes
>> in nature's fluid-dynamical continuum ('chaff') are of lesser value
>> nature's continuum.
>>
>> education, when it lines up our children in a variety of 'obstacle
>> courses' in which those stronger at surviving the full course are
>> regarded as 'favourites' or 'winners'' and the weaker at surviving
who
>> fall out of the course are regarded as 'junk' or 'losers', is an
>> exercise that encourages the children to strengthen their 'locally
>> originating survival purpose'; i.e. it gives a lesson for life that
>> encourages children to fall out of harmony with the contextual
>> transformation in which they are included and to instead, as local
>> embodied parts, 'drive the contextual transformation' (have the
>> 'embodied' become the embodying drive' (control the unfolding of the
>> living space dynamic)).  we teach the children that it is up to the
>> 'favourites' to take a leadership role of the independent drivers in
>> this process and it is up to the 'junk' to accept their role as the
>> smaller dependent cogs that contribute by letting themselves be
driven
>> by the bigger wheels, and thus contribute to the 'whole' positivist
>> machinery.   alliances of the favourites contribute to this process
by
>> consolidating the leadership drive.
>>
>> education, done in this manner, would appear to constitute a self-
>> inflicted 'falling from grace'.
>>
>> ted

The information in this message and any files attached to it are strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by any other person is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender should this message have been incorrectly transmitted. The views expressed in this electronic transmission do not necessarily reflect those of Oxford Centre for Mission Studies. Transmission is virus-free and we will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted. Thank you.