I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment:

...do we really need all these articles?  Does it matter what reason we
have to publish if no one reads it?  And if we *knew* that articles
weren't being read, could we use that as an argument *against* having to
publish or perish?

So would it make sense to run a carefully constructed survey to elicit
the *reading* habits of the research community before we decide what
needs to be done to support the *writing*?

Just a thought.
Cheers.
Fil

Karel van der Waarde wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The discussions in the last week left me with a slightly bitter taste.
> There seem to be two intentions to publish:
> - to 'disseminate information',
> - to satisfy administrative requirements.
>
> The second intention is becoming so important, that the first one is
> only for 'a happy few' who can afford to wait to present worthwhile
> materials.
>
> An enormous group of authors has to put pressure on reviewers and
> editors because:
> - I need this publication to start a PhD
> - I need this publication to obtain a PhD
> - I need this publication to support my PhD-viva
> - I need this publication for staff evaluations
> - Our department needs this publication for an assessment/accreditation
>
> The financial and personal consequences of the decisions of reviewers
> and editors are substantial. Administrators base their decisions on the
> views of editors and reviewers: 'it has been peer reviewed, so it must
> be good'.
>
> Despite the severe consequences for the authors, we still expect that
> 'reviewing' and 'editing' must be done for free. It's part of the fun,
> but it requires a lot of time. I'm afraid that this has reached its limits.
>

> Option 1: The example of open review processes Chris Rust mentions on
> biomedcentral.com provides a real alternative. Direct contact between
> authors and reviewers with the aim to 'disseminate and discuss' new
> findings. Wonderful. Unfortunately, there is another side. The
> instructions for authors state:
> - "Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica" levies an article-processing charge
> for every accepted article, to cover the costs incurred by open access
> publication. In 2008 the article-processing charge is £1000 (¤1260,
> US$2000)."
> or
> - "AIDS Research and Therapy" levies an article-processing charge for
> every accepted article, to cover the costs incurred by open access
> publication. In 2008 the article-processing charge is £850 (¤1070,
> US$1700)."
>
> In other words: If you want to publish, you pay per article. Now it is
> possible to calculate the costs of the administrative policies.
>

> Option 2: An alternative requirement for a PhD-student could be to set
> up at least one 'digital peer-reviewed academic journal'. That will
> solve many of the problems mentioned this week.
>
> biomedcentral.com makes the second option fairly painless:
> http://www.biomedcentral.com/independent/starting
>

> Nobody will have time to read much of it, but that is not the aim. The
> aim is to satisfy the administrative requirements in such a way that we
> can still have a few enjoyable discussions about the topics that really
> matter with people that we really like to work with.
>

> The domain names http://www.designresearchcentral.com and
> http://www.desrescentral.com are still available ...
>
> Kind regards,
> [...]

Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Ryerson University
350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON, M5B 2K3, Canada
Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
Fax: 416/979-5265
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/