From: Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 03 Nisan 2008 Perşembe 11:25:10 GMT+03:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Research student publishing -- Repost from 28 April 2007

Friends,

Following my post, Oguzhan raised a relevant point. His comment and my
reply follow.

Ken

--

Oguzhan Ozcan wrote:

ENQUA and ERASMUS says all of research activities must be ¨high qualty
international disseminated¨. and all EU idea is develop rules until 2010
to compute with  north american research dissemination

Therefore there is no certain rule. But  Turkish Authority  look at all
these and  interpret
PhD research must need to be published in indexed journal. For instance
Illinois Institute of Technology, Institute of Design requires 1
intentional quality conference paper  before qualification exam, high
quality 2 journal published article before submission of PhD.

Looking at this example, Turkish Authority looks at these Research
University and ask us what we must do in design research.

Therefore my original question what is your process.... What other
Countries thinks  what other European University develops what rules.

There is no argument if design research need publication. The time is now
to decide  how many publication and what is the quality level as looking at
North American University until 2010

--

Ken Friedman answered:

Dear Oguzhan,

Thank you for the clarification. I will answer all the remaining questions
over the next few days.

There is one issue I can answer now --

In my long post, I described the challenges of publishing that doctoral
students will face, especially if they work in a second language. I think
the policy is foolish, but I am not arguing against the policy. I am not a
Bologna delegate, an education minister, or even a rector or dean, so I am
not in a position to argue. A policy is a policy. In itself, the policy
would not be bad IF students got the supervision, training, and experience
they need to meet this criterion. In most programs, European doctoral
students do not get the training they need. In design, the problem is worse
for reasons I will explain.

I understand the fact that many governments and universities seem to be
implementing this policy. Therefore, my caution -- my argument, if you will
-- is with the design schools rather than with the policy.

If doctoral students in design are to meet the new standard that you warn
us about, we must teach them how to write and publish to journal standards.
If we do not, they will not pass the review process at any good journal,
they will not publish, and they will not graduate.

For reasons I will explain in my detailed response, we will have a
difficult time setting up a new and different set of metrics to all other
metrics in all other fields. This is particularly the case because many
design research fields ARE also designated under other names with strong
journal traditions, and because many design research scholars publish in
several fields.

We cannot expect doctoral students to do what we cannot do, and we cannot
expect them master skills that our program do not teach.

A school that treats this new requirement without the solid commitment and
preparation that student publishing requires will find that this new system
generates difficulties for the students. It will finally damage the school.

Schools that take the requirement seriously can use it to make serious
advances and improvements. This will happen if and only if they give
students the skills, training, and support they need to meet the new
requirement.

In a day or so, I will post a series of notes that answer your original
question with some discussions of how and why. I will also answer some of
the questions that have emerged during the past week or so, partly based on
my own experience teaching doctoral students and younger faculty how to
write and how to publish.

Yours,

Ken

http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE