Dear Terry

For me, politics is the process by which groups take decisions. It is
not about power equations which it is often considered to be. Those in
power will take decisions but these need not be correct nor do they have
to be sustainable. However in a true democracy, people have a role to
play in moving their politcians to act on their behalf and in an
accountable manner.

Designers must be equipped to be part of this process and offer their
sensibilities while being a part of this group process. When design is
about shaping the future by the creation of value it is most effective
at the leading edge where decisions are taken.

Perhaps you would be more comfortable if I stated that I would like to
see politicians adopt design and the design language in their decision
making processes and not just use rhetoric and economics as their base.

We need to put design into the hands of those who take decisions and in
this way the design sensibilities, which is not driven by knowledge and
truth alone, but by sense and conviction based on a variety of
explorations (samplings, prototypes and trends), would inform and
support a sustainable decision for all of us.

My use of the word politics is aligned to the HfG Ulm Foundation for
Design, see the competition announcement at this link here:
<http://www.hfg-ulm.de/443.html?&L=1>

Further, Tomas Maldonado in his book "Design, Nature and Revolution:
Toward a Critical Ecology" Harper & Row, New York 1972, does give us a
very perceptive view of the shaping of design at this level of action.

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my office at NID
22 April 2008 at 8.15 pm IST

Prof M P Ranjan
Faculty of Design
Head, Centre for Bamboo Initiatives at NID (CFBI-NID)
Chairman, GeoVisualisation Task Group (DST, Govt. of India) (2006-2008)
National Institute of Design
Paldi
Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Tel: (off) 91 79 26623692 ext 1090