Hi Chris,

thanks, but rather than misreading Karel's (slightly 'bitter')
suggestion, I meant to 'add to' it. I was saying that local
'student-centred' digital peer reviewed journals do exist (with
double blind refereeing), and they do fulfill the functions I
suggested quite nicely. Further, they are read by other candidates
and early career researchers, if not other senior academics as well
(I believe not all the reviewers are candidates), and surely this
must be a good thing for those who will eventually become, and
perhaps replace when they retire (!), the 'well-regarded editors' of
existing 'top flight journals'.

But, to address your original inquiry as to what might be done to
support and prepare candidates, as another Antipodean, I concur with
Edgar's comment about the cost of travelling and presenting at
conferences, and his suggestion for a 'High Quality - Free
Registration - No need to travel' option. But the catch, as
previously explained, is still that it adds to the workload (and
cost) for conference organisers and reviewers.

Another idea is student-centred guided doctoral writing groups,
initially facilitated by a published, senior academic with editorial
expertise, but moving towards self-sufficiency at later stages. I was
fortunate enough to be a member almost from the beginning of my
candidature, and have benefited enormously from having four other PhD
candidates and an academic other than my supervisors be familiar with
my developing research, and I with theirs. It is a staged, but fluid
process, whereby we meet every fortnight for two hours, prior to
which two students send the writing they want critiqued, along with
the points they wish the group to address. This includes writing at
various developmental stages (in my case, the 'so what?' question was
heartily debated which contributed to a major change in focus),
abstract writing, thesis chapter outlines, conference papers, as well
as focused writing techniques, such as free writing. I tape the
feedback, but generally, the robust discussions are usually
sufficient and have contributed to much stronger writing, in my
experience. This kind of group has been documented in the doctoral
education literature through academics and co-authored papers by
group members (see below) and becomes in essence, peer review for
work in progress at a micro level.

This represents a structured initiative at a local institutional
(faculty) level, the aim being to focus on the idea of 'research
through writing' and the importance of the process of writing for
doctoral research, as much as the development of written outcomes
that may eventually be published. Combined with faculty and
university-wide (multi-disciplinary) local and national conferences
for doctoral candidates and early career researchers, these are
pedagogic processes that prepare us before we even get to the journal
writing stage.

I trust that this is in the scope of your initial question?
best wishes, teena

Aitchison, C. (2003) Thesis writing circles. Hong Kong Journal of
Applied Linguistics, 8(2), 97-115.

Aitchison, C., & Lee, A. (2006). Research writing: problems and
pedagogies. Teaching in Higher Education, 11(3), 265-278.

Boud, D. & Lee, A. (2005) Peer learning as pedagogic discourse for
research education. Studies in Higher Education, 30(5), 501-515.

Lee, A., & Boud, D. (2003). Writing groups, change and academic
identity: research development as local practice. Studies in Higher
Education, 28, (2).

McGrail, M R, Rickard, C M & Jones, R (2006) Publish or Perish: a
systematic review of interventions to increase academic publication
rates. Higher Education Research and Development, 25(1), 19-35.

Spigelman, C. (1999) Habits of mind: historical configurations of
textual ownership in peer writing groups. College Composition and
Communication, 49(2), 234-255.