Agriculture and natural resources

Dear ORNET subscriber

Agriculture and natural resources

This is both a call for papers for a stream at OR50 (attached) and an invitation to help relaunch this OR society special interest group.

In initiative is underway to rejuvenate interest in this topical area which also involves prominent Operational Research professionals Eric Audsley (Cranfield University) and Tahir Rehman (Reading University).  In this endeavour we are strategically collaborating with Lluis Plà (University of Lleida), the coordinator of EWG-ORAFM (EURO working group on Operational Research in Agriculture and Forest Management)

Our scope aims to encapsulate the management of all of the biotic primary production industries (agriculture, forestry, fisheries, etc) and their underpinning natural resources (soils, water, ecosystems, etc), at policy, strategic and tactical levels.  This definition includes the production of goods and [ecosystem] services as well as their related chains or webs of secondary industries and logistics.  It is application orientated and not restricted to any particular method.  Some of these methods will, of necessity, have been applied in a very innovative manner.

Additionally, the governance and management of these industries place this area at the vanguard of operational research's contribution to sustainability.  We offer a platform for those working on such issues.

Papers for this stream at OR50 are submitted through the OR society website http://www.theorsociety.com

In addition to meeting at OR50 a relaunch event is planned for February 2009.  Send expressions of interest in this special interest group to Daniel Sandars, Cranfield University, e-mail [log in to unmask]

Thanks considering it

Daniel

<<CfP-OR50-EADS2.pdf>>
Daniel L. Sandars Esq.
BSc. Hons. (Agriculture); MSc. (Applied Environmental Science); MSc. (Operational Research);
CEnv MIAgrM; MIAgrE; AFORS

Natural Resources Management Centre,
Bldg 42a, School of Applied Science
Cranfield University, Cranfield,
Bedfordshire, MK43 0AL, UK
T: +44 (0) 1234 750111 extn. 2742
F: +44 (0) 1234 752971
M: +44 (0) 7946 623112
e: [log in to unmask]
W: http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/sas/nrmc/index.jsp
Operational Research: The science of better...