Dear all,

There are many fascinating challenges facing the use of Simulation and related techniques in Defence.  Given that there is no specific Defence stream this year, we would particularly welcome contributions in this area.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss a submission.

The CFP is repeated below.

Best regards,

Simon

Call for papers - Simulation Stream

OR50 - The 50th Annual Conference of the Operational Research Society University of York, UK

9-11 September 2008

http://www.theorsociety.org.uk/orshop/(ickx5v45uxxfwt45si5brh2a)/orcontent.aspx?inc=or50_main.htm

To help celebrate 50 years of OR we are pleased to announce the keynote speaker for the simulation stream - Professor Mike Pidd.

The scope of the simulation stream is similar to the Journal of Simulation and is taken to include the techniques, tools, methods and technologies of the application and use of simulation in a wide range of domains including, for example, manufacturing, service, defence and commerce.  Additionally, this scope includes topics that although not "mainstream" in nature, can be of interest to the simulation community so long as the link to simulation as outlined above is clear.

We welcome all kinds of contribution from significant successes in the use of simulation to and methodological and technological advances that represent significant progress toward the application of simulation modelling-related theory and/or practice.  We are particularly interested in papers that give a perspective on past contributions of simulation and build on them for the future.

Areas of interest include:

Case studies of simulation application
Input modelling
Output analysis
Simulation practice
Verification and validation
Conceptual modelling
Modelling techniques
Design and Analysis of Experiments
Simulation project management
Simulation-based optimisation
Simulation visualisation
Simulation software and technology
Parallel and distributed simulation
Emerging technologies in simulation
Object-oriented simulation
Agent-based discrete-event simulation
Modelling of human factors
Insights into the application of simulation modelling in various domains (manufacturing, service, defence, health and emergency response, commerce, call centres, etc.)
Supply chain simulation
Logistics and transportation simulation
Simulation standards
Economics of simulation application
Simulation education and training

Participants will have approximately half an hour for their presentation. Participants will need to submit the title and abstract of their contribution (up to 250 words of plain text) on the conference website. The title and abstract will need to be submitted by mid-April at the latest to ensure that it is included in the Invitation Programme. Written papers are not required.

Full details of the conference are available through the OR Society website http://theorsociety.com/

All participants will need to register for the Conference, though there is a discount for all who are members of the OR Society.

Please let one of us know as soon as possible if you would like to present a paper or if you would like to discuss possible contributions.

Simon J E Taylor and Tillal Eldabi ([log in to unmask], [log in to unmask])

Chair, ACM SIGSIM
Chair, CSPI-PDG Standardisation Group
Co Editor-in-chief, Journal of Simulation

Simon J E Taylor, BSc, MSc, PhD
Senior Lecturer
Centre for Applied Simulation Modelling
School of Information Systems, Computing and Mathematics
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middx UB8 3PH (UK)

Tel +44-1895-265994
Fax +44-1895-251686
Web www.brunel.ac.uk/~csstsjt