on 13/4/08 9:12 am, Liz Hansen at [log in to unmask] wrote:

Dear List,

I've recenty seen a forecast that if Dame Carol Black's proposals are to be properly met, the UK will require an additional 1800 OH Physicians.

I'm curious to know if there is anyone on the List who can answer the following:

How many OH Physicians there are currently working in OH?

How many nurses there are working in Occupational Health roles in the UK (whether on Part 3 of the Register or not)?

and,

Has anyone has estimated how many more nurses will be required?

Thanks in anticipation,
Liz

Hi Liz

I have got some statistics re number of OHNs on part 3 etc etc - will see if I can find them - Bashyr may get the to the list before I can access them. But I have a question. Why are OHNs not taking the initiative? Sorry to upset OHP colleagues but although an OHP is necessary for statutory medical [eg schedule 6 of COSHH, Tier 5 HAVS etc]  An OHP is not required for general health assessments, including statutory health surveillance (eg COSHH Reg 11 provided the chemical is not in Schedule 6). OHPs have a valuable role but to my mind organisations often over rely on them.

A competent and  experienced OHN should be able to fill the "Black" niche. Before the medics think I am out to get them out of a job, I am not, but we should be using your skills as and when we need them. Free lance OHNs with their own consultancies should be rubbing their hands with glee. Think of the business opportunities which could present themselves and think how you could market yourselves to fill this niche. Chris's marketing course referred to earlier could be a brilliant investment!

Any others like to comment? Now I have "lit the blue touch paper" I will now seek cover - do I need to get my hard hat?

Anne Harriss
Course Director
London South Bank University

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net