Of course, if you want reference management and the most beautiful typesetting available for free anywhere, you could always use the entirely free MiKTeX TeX version for Windows. Donald Knuth wrote the TeX typesetting system to create beautiful books - especially math books - and donated it to the betterment of the world.

Not only do you get your choice about all sorts of beautiful layout and fonts, you can also get free editors and the referencing system in TeX makes everything else seem shabby. Somewhat steep learning curve for mastery but you can  get started easily enough and organize your bibliographies pretty easily and of course, it is entirely free and you don't need the web - so you can do your writing in a canoe...

http://www.miktex.org

and my favorite free TeX editor is available at:

http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/

once you set up your bibliographies and references you can convert between tons of different formats with very little effort. If you have ever drooled at a symbolic logic or math book or article, good chance it was written in TeX.

bear

Robert Newsom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have already shared this infor with Derek at the journal, but since so
many of you write (beautifully) I thought I would share it with everone.

I HATE, LOATHE and DESPISE creating reference lists and/or citation
pages. The plethora of required styles is especially irritating, and just
more proof, if any were required, that academic life is the opposite of
rational, and is populated by individuals who find it impossible to agree
on ANYTHING.

I therefore find producing the damn reference list the most distasteful
part of writing and submitting something to a journal - the task causes
much raging, cursing and the like. The dog hides under the table whenever
I do it, and upon concluding I inevitably turn to drink (shocking, I know,
but true). In fact, sometimes I turn to drink before concluding - that's
why there tend to be mistakes in the final entries. Something
like "endnote" might help, but my genteel poverty, coupled with absolutely
necessary wine, liquor and food expenses, block its aquistion.

For those who use the Mozilla web browser, and hate this chore as much as
I do, I have good news. It can be rendered virtually painless with an "ad
on" (free of charge) called "Zotero." Here are some URL's that you can
cut and paste into your browser which will tell you about it:

http://markdingemanse.nl/the-ideophone/zotero-endnote-alternative/

http://library.humboldt.edu/~rls/Mark_of_Zotero.html

http://www.opal-online.org/Video2-ZoteroCapture/Video2-ZoteroCapture.html

http://www.opal-online.org/Video3-ZoteroCitation/Video3-ZoteroCitation.html

The existence of this program is, pace John Paley, good, although not
conclusive, evidence for the existence of a benevolent diety. A gift of
God for the people of God (as THE Book of Common Prayer would say) - heed
my prophetic voice and receive it by faith, with thanksgiving.