On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:44 PM, dominic smith
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  I do have a question for members of this discussion on this matter of
> contributing to software development. Do you feel that successful
> collaboration on an open project is as simple as members contributing useful
> code to a project or are there other factors such as friendships and
> geographical location that have an impact?

Each project has a community
The communities vary.
Some are international
Some are regional or have strong participation from specific language groups.
I think there is a factor where the kind of new contacts that the group makes
has an impact on the culture of the communities.
ie if a lot of new people say I wish this application was more like n
windows application
this has a shaping factor on dialogue. If it is an application where
people are coming to it without muscle memory from a competing product
the first conversations can be easier.