From: John Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:26:57 +0200
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Leonardo and copyright regimes

The cost you pay is directly correlated to the depth of your
embeddedness, your degree of participation in the techno-social
system.  For example, to simply 'own' a laptop, I calculated over the
past 15 years I spend around USD 120 / month.  This does not include
cost of upgrades and peripherals, telecom, electrical, or other
costs.  This is only having the machine sitting on my lap.  Of
course, to participate in the techno-social system that 'allows' me
to make a posting to this list, or to receive incoming postings,
requires much more than that single expense.  There are ways of
minimizing or reducing the relative level of participation, but in a
developed country, there are absolute minimums which, if I slide
under, I remove myself from any ability to participate.  Things like
a fixed address, a bank account, a national ID number, a passport --
each of which demands a certain set of other fixity/stability in
regard to the system (which demands this to support its continued
viability).

I 'pay' for the privilege primarily by spending some of my life-time
in the service of propping up that techno-social system.  Spending
life-time in participating in system-sanctioned interaction with
others who are also seeking legitimacy within the system.  When I
spend that life-time, it's gone, I don't get it back.  I convert some
of that resource, life-time, life-energy into an abstracted currency
which allows me the 'freedom' to convert my life-energy into other
sanctioned expressions of the techno-social system for my perusal and
consumption.  Through participating I lend my life-energy as a
signature of legitimacy of the entire techno-social system that I am
helping to prop up as a participant.  What a system 'sanctions' is
not always clear, but in the long-term, it is anything that promotes
my participation in the system in such a way that the system profits
in using my submitted energies in expressions that it deems necessary
to its survival (not mine!)...

The ultimate payee in any social system are the individuals who
participate in the system, at whatever level -- through the spending
of life-time (think, for example, 'paying attention') into that
system.  There are relative 'winners' and 'losers' depending on how
you judge the relative punishments and rewards meted out by the
system as it seeks your optimal participation.

I think that refusing participation at the degree of whether or not
to publish based on an ideological detail within the system is a very
small incremental shift in paying slightly attention to the
'dominant' system and slightly more to a subset of that dominant
system.  I use the word subset because the dominant system includes
the entire globalized techno-social infrastructure of
telecommunications and digital devices upon which in both cases we
are totally dependent.   In order to participate in this forum here
(as one possible niche, taz, where we can play for a time, before
going back to paying attention to the dominant system  ...) or to
write about these subjects or to circulate at all, we are dependent.
I can understand the refusal as a statement against the hegemonic
power of that system, and BRAVO for that.  But what about a refusal
to use tele-communications and instead only transmit orally the ideas
to one person at a time.  (Yeah, why not -- what is it about numbers
and spatial reach that so seduces us to believe in our own
'influence' on others..?)  Imagine that, if everyone on every mailing
list in the world would instead take the same amount of time they
spend in eye-lid-locked paralysed point-of-view gazing at the screen
and instead engaged with those humans which were immediately around
them...

some musings...

jh