This is forwarded from Jon Ippolito, apologies for delay.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Jon Ippolito <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 27 April 2008 00:22:29 BST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Which came first, open source or open art?
>
> Hi all,
>
> I agree with Armin that the relationship between open software and art
> goes way back:
>
> "Computers are bringing about a situation that's like the invention of
> harmony. Subroutines are like chords. No one would think of keeping a
> chord to himself. You'd give it to anyone who wanted it. You'd welcome
> alterations of it. Subroutines
> are altered by a single punch. We're getting music made by man
> himself, not just one man."
>
> John Cage said this in 1969--14 years before Richard Stallman founded
> the Gnu project and 29 years before the term "open source" was coined.
>
> My self-conscious engagement with open art began in 2000 with the
> development of the Open Art Network, a predecessor of Creative Commons
> that looked at a different set of freedoms (notably access to source
> media). The site offered the code
> underlying projects by artists like Alex Galloway, Mark Napier, jodi,
> and others as a free download:
>
> http://three.org/openart/
>
> From 2002 to the present I've been co-developing The Pool, an online
> architecture for sharing art and code, with collaborators John Bell,
> Joline Blais, Matt James, Justin Russell, and Jerome Knope. The Pool
> tracks the evolution of projects submitted
> by its members as they rise or fall according to reviews by other
> users. It currently tracks 600 projects rated according to over 2000
> reviews, and offers contributors a wide variety of open licensing
> terms:
>
> http://pool.newmedia.umaine.edu/
>
> Some years back when The Pool was in beta, Margaretha Haughwout
> published a study of patterns in Pool users of adoption and resistance
> to open licensing of creative works:
>
> http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_4/haughwout/
>
> Up to now The Pool has been available only to students at the
> University of Maine and UC-Berkeley, but we are planning to open the
> project to other universities soon; please email me if you would like
> to dive in with a free account.
>
> Cheers!
>
> jon
> ______________________________
> Still Water--what networks need to thrive.
> http://newmedia.umaine.edu/stillwater/

Beryl Graham, Professor of New Media Art
School of Arts, Design, Media and Culture, University of Sunderland
Ashburne House,
Ryhope Road
Sunderland
SR2 7EE
Tel: +44 191 515 2896    [log in to unmask]

CRUMB web resource for new media art curators
http://www.crumbweb.org