At 12:05 12/04/2008, M J Shaw wrote:
>I think that I remember a discussion in the list some time back
>about the possibility that some lead ores found near the surface
>could have or had a higher silver content than is now believed to
>have been the case. If my memory is correct does anyone know if
>there have been any developments with this research.

Discussion on the north Pennine ores was mentioned in an earlier
message. Unfortunately, because the exact source of the
silver-bearing ores in the north Pennines is not known with any
certainty and we, the historians, are working on very limited
statistical evidence, it has not been possible to come to any real
accommodation with the geologists as to the processes affecting the
lead based ores in that area but, to my mind, weathering must have
resulted in enhanced silver values. There is certainly good
documentary evidence for that process at Bere Ferrers in south-west
Devon where run of the mine ores in the early fourteenth century
yielded a far greater proportion of silver than that worked in depth
in the late 18th and 19th centuries.

Peter

Dr Peter Claughton,
Blaenpant Morfil, nr. Rosebush, Clynderwen, Pembrokeshire, Wales  SA66 7RE.
Tel. +44 (0)1437 532578; Fax. +44 (0)1437 532921; Mobile +44 (0)7831 427599

Research Fellow - School of Geography, Archaeology and Earth Resources

Hon. University Fellow - School of Humanities and Social Sciences

Office address - Department of Archaeology, University of Exeter,
Laver Building, North Park Road, EXETER,  EX4 4QE  Tel. +44 (0) 1392 263709

E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Co-owner - mining-history e-mail discussion list.
See http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/mining-history/  for details.

Mining History Pages - http://www.people.exeter.ac.uk/pfclaugh/mhinf/