If Suger was educated at St Denis, then clearly St Denis was maintaining
some sort of school.  Barring evidence that they had stopped running the
school after Suger passed through it, the best thing is to assume that it
was there in the 1120s.  Well, that gets rid of the easy answer.  Do we know
if the French crown has already established a close relationship with St.
Denis?  (I don't know that much about St. Denis.)
    Cathedral schools did teach grammar.  Part of their original function
was to teach literacy to priests so they could perform the liturgy.  Oxford,
which I am much more familiar with than Paris, had an official who oversaw
the grammar schools that provided primary education for students destined
for the University.  So the cathedral school would have been just as
equipped as any school St Denis ran to provide primary education.
    Philip presumably expected Louis to stay in the school (since he was
hardly expecting his oldest son to die in a freak accident), so the
cathedral school might have offered better long-term prospects than St.
Denis.
    The 1120s is 50-75 years too early for us to speak about the University
of Paris.  In the 1120s, the cathedral school is granting teaching licenses
to men like Peter Abelard, authorizing them to run small private schools in
Paris.  Subjects higher than grammar are increasingly being taught by these
masters. In later centuries, students will actually live with their masters,
often renting rooms from them in a suite that the master rents from the
owner of the property.  How early that arrangement began I don't know, but
it actually suggests an answer to your larger question.
    As a 10 year old, roughly, Louis was certainly too young to be living on
his own (regardless of whether he was a prince or not).  So any instruction
he received would probably have been through a private master hired to
supervise his education in the same fashion that Abelard was hired to
supervise Heloise' education.  That master, even if he's only teaching
grammar, would plausibly be operating under a teaching license, and
therefore part of the cathedral school, even if the instruction wasn't at
the cathedral (indeed, most of the teaching at the cathedral school in this
period isn't happening at the cathedral).  In contrast, since monks are at
least theoretically supposed to be cloistered, education at a monastic
school would generally have taken place at the monastery itself, acting as a
boarding school.
    So if Louis is going to be educated at St. Denis, that means placing him
in the monastery, which might look uncomfortably like oblation.  Even if
that isn't an issue, placing Louis there would probably mean endowing the
monastery to compensate it for educating him.  The other alternative is for
Philip to hirer a private tutor for Louis, which means paying a master from
the cathedral school to live with the royal family.  This is a less
expensive arrangement, with no risks that someone might misconstrue Louis'
status.
    Obviously with so little evidence, we can't be sure, but this at least
sounds like a plausible answer to me.

Andrew E. Larsen

On 4/9/08 9:33 AM, "Christopher Crockett" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: Andrew Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
>
>> Well, the cathedral school was the center of a growing body of scholars that
> would in a few generations coalesce into the University of Paris.  Some of the
> brightest scholars in Paris, such as Abelard, taught under the umbrella of the
> cathedral school (although Abelard was gone by 1131).
>
> "under the umbrella"
>
> do we know anything more about his teaching during that pre-rainstormy period
> than what he tells us in the H.C.? [Brenda?]
>
> viz., that he was a *private tutor* to the adolescent daughter of a dignatary
> of the cathedral chapter.
>
> Louis the Kid was...well, he was just a kid before his brother died and he was
> jerked out of whatever situation he was in, being prepared for whatever career
> he was destined for before Destiny took a Hand in his life and grabbed him by
> his hair.
>
> Heloise was, presumably, somewhat older when tutored (and etc.) by Abelard,
> and i can't quite see him (or the other, relatively high-powered scholards of
> the cathedral school) as being an elementary school teacher.
>
> *was* there a "grammer school" (in the sense of a primary school for quite
> young children) associated with the cathedral?
>
>> Overall, Louis could have received a more cutting-edge education through the
> cathedral
> school, although it would have depended on who his masters were.
>
> it's not the "higher" education that's at issue, only the "primary"  one.
>
>> Did St. Denis maintain a monastery school at this time?
>
> i don't know.
>
>> I don't know, but many monasteries were doing away with schools for children
> because
> oblation was becoming less common during this period.
>
> knowing nothing whatever about it in any detail, i can venture the Firm
> Opinion that "this period" was one of Transition, and that it might be a wee
> bit early to assume that the Benedictines at St. Denis (or anywhere else) had
> given up their centuries-old tradition of providing primary educations for the
> sons of the local aristocracy. (what's the evidence that those guys *ever*
> gave up their primary schools, in the M.A.?)
>
> after all,
>
> 1) providing this service certainly paid well, both Karmically (i.e., putting
> a keen edge on their Do Good for Humanity blade) and in more tangible terms,
> garnering donations from families which formed ties to the institution lasting
> generations, Time out of Mind;
>
> b)such a school would have been a pretty good recruitment tool;
>
> iii) Suger was (i'm told, presumably ultimately based on a Vita) educated at
> the St. Denis school, just a generation before Louis' time.
>
>> Apart from the cathedral school, the other two 12th century schools at Paris
> that I know of were St Victor and St Genevieve, and I haven't been able to
> find any reference to a school at St Denis in the materials I have at hand
> [...]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]