> From: Chris Laning <[log in to unmask]>

>>If you merely scan a page and save it as a PDF, the resulting PDF is only
an
image -- little dots on paper.

well, the pdf image is more like electrons running through wires.

but, let's not quibble.

there is, actually, an advantage to having a book in "image" format.

the Institute national d'histoire de l'art (Paris)

http://inha.fr/

http://inha.fr/spip.php?rubrique20

http://inha.fr/spip.php?rubrique21

has a "bibliotheque numerique"

http://inha.fr/spip.php?rubrique286

with a growing list of books available for downloading, including the
magnificent folio volumes of DOM Bernard de Montfaucon's _Les monumens de la
monarchie françoise qui comprenant l'histoire de France, avec les figures de
chaque règne que l'injure des tems à épargnées_ (1729ff).

this monumental work is a Foundation Document in the historiography of the
History of Art.

e.g., in Tome 1. L'origine des François, & la suite des rois jusqu'à
Philippe I. inclusivement

http://bibliotheque-numerique.inha.fr/detail.cfm?cfid=28033&cftoken=57169424&idmedia=0009268&w=2

is to be found the invaluable engravings --specifically made for Montfaucon--
of the lost statue columns of Suger's St. Denis (which Montfaucon, poor guy,
thought were Merovingian), which happen to be remarkably (and, for their time,
quite exceptionally) accurate reproductions of the *style* of these sculptures
as well as their iconography (we can judge their accuracy by comparing them to
fragments which survive).

the INHA's PDFs are in glorious color, making the experience of consulting
them --from contemporary, full gilt calf binding to final cul-de-lampe-- an
esthetic one as well.

that being said, i've had some sucess OCRing sections of the text using the
crappy abilities in one of MS Office's suite --lots to clean up, given the
beautiful 1720s font with its marvelously elegant ligatures-- but still faster
than keystroking a large amount of text.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]