Firstly, George's belated thanks gives me the opportunity to deliver one of my own. Some of your words last week where the kindest I can imagine, and I have been responding offlist rather than embarrass myself.

But the List as a Corporation (dare I say, a College? or (gulp) a Monasterium?) is to be thanked for delivering one of the key bits of material used in the first few minutes of the programme - a medieval source (in this case a consecration service) that links great church building to the idea of the Heavenly Jerusalem. This was a last-minute (if very reasonable) request from the BBC, and without sources and suggestions posted to this fine list I would have been very, very stuck indeed.

Secondly, I do not have statistics to support George's contention, but I was certainly struck while researching my book that, if publishing is anything to go by, scholarly interest in medieval buildings at least is at an absolute all-time high. Almost every English cathedral has in the last thirty years had at least one detailed monograph published on it, many of them definitive collections of essays on every aspect of history, liturgy and art. This 'programme' is itself a relatively young one, yet major works of synthesis such as Binski's Beckett's Crown are now appearing too.

One particular fact struck me very forcibly as an indication of this rude good health: the C11 east end of Rochester cathedral has a) been evidenced only by archaeology since it was rebuilt, around 1200; and b) is in any case part of one of England's less celebrated cathedrals. It is of interest mainly for the possibility that it had an unusually early square-ended design. Yet it has received no fewer than three major scholarly reassessments in the last ten years alone. For a long-vanished building of *relatively* narrow significance I suggest this is quite an achievement. Indeed one could claim that more intellectual energy is being focused on English medieval great churches now than at any time since they were built...

Jon