St. Petersburg State University
FACULTY OF PHILOSOPHY AND POLITICAL SCIENCE
CENTRE FOR MEDIEVAL CULTURE STUDIES
Mendeleevskaya linia, 5, St. Petersburg, 199034, RUSSIA.
Phone: (812) 328 94 39
Fax: (812) 328 08 71
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

First Call for Papers
The Centre for Medieval Culture Studies is organizing an International
Conference with the topic:
"From Feasting to Fasting: transformations of the cultural procedures
from Antiquity to the Middle Ages".
We are planning to discuss the following topics:
• Ethos of Antiquity and the moral prepositions of Christianity: changes
in the philosophical paradigms and strategies of daily conduct;
• Athens’ Agora and the Medieval monastery: transformations of social
Institutions;
• Freedom of Spirit and Freedom of Body: speech and silence;
• Citizen and ascetic: models of corporal practices;
• Philosophical and Christian Ascetics in Medieval and Byzantine
Philosophy and Theology;
• Monastic Canons in the East and the West.
The Conference will be at the Faculty of Philosophy and Political
Science of the St.-Petersburg State University 20-22 of November of
2008. We invite to participation of all interested scientists! For the
application, it is necessary to present an abstract (350-500 words) and
author's information no later than 1 June 2008. The papers will be
published in the almanac "Verbum" after the Conference.
All materials should be sending to:
Associated Prof., Ph. D. Oleg E. Dushin
Chief of the Centre for Medieval Culture Studies,
Faculty of Philosophy and Political Science,
St. Petersburg State University,
Mendeleevskaya linia, 5,
St. Petersburg 199034 RUSSIA
E-mail: [log in to unmask]