I would agree with John D. here, given the highly symbolic and hieratic quality of those Byzantine images. The pallium is from at least before Gregory I’s time the symbol par excellence of priestly/episcopal authority (later the “stole” for priests in general). It seems as if the Virgin is presenting Christ and his priestly garment.

jbw

John B. Wickstrom

Department of History

Kalamazoo College