From: Ms B M Cook <[log in to unmask]>

> Here is a question for the "Art Hystericals" [pardon, cc]

"pardons" will cost you more than just the Normal Fee for using Copyrighted
terms.

> I have from years back a poor quality photocopy of a portrait of Bernard of

Claivaux. It was [is] the frontispiece of
Watkin WILLIAMS "Saint Bernard of Clairvaux" Manchester UP, 1935.

> It shows Bernie standing full length facing to R of picture. In his hands is
the model of a church. Tucked in his right arm is his pastoral staff
("crozier"). The background looks like Willaim Morris wallpaper but the rim
of his halo is just visible behind the hood of his cowl.

> It is possible that this image was one that could be picked up on every
Catholic Truth Society bookstall in the 1930s but how should I know ?

M. Albaric, "Saint Bernard dans l'imagerie de Piete, des XIXe et XXe siecles,"
in Patrick Arabeyre, et al. eds. _Vies et légendes de Saint Bernard de
Clairvaux : création, diffusion, réception (XIIe-XXe siècles): actes des
Rencontres de Dijon, 7-8 juin 1991_ (Saint-Nicolas-lès-Cîteaux: Abbaye de
Cîteaux, 1993), pp. 371-384.

doesn't mention your portrait, however, among the (mostly) prayer cards he
--or she-- publishes..

From: Revd Gordon Plumb <[log in to unmask]>

> The painting you mention is in the Musée des Beaux Arts, DIJON, and is
described in the Catalogue of the exhibition "SAint Bernard et l;Art des
Cisterciens at the Musée de Dijon in 1953 (Cat no 139) as École
Bourguignonne (2e moitié du XV siècle)

there are whole bibliographies on Bernie, of course, and, now that you have
the exact ref. for the piece you should be able to find a decent .jpg on The
Innernets.

i seem to remember that somewhere i've seen a _Saint Bernard dans l'art_
volume.

it might also be discussed in an article in one of these collections [shelf
numbers are LoC]:

Bernard de Clairvaux (Commission d'histoire de l'ordre de Cîteaux. Études et
documents, 3). (Paris: Éditions Alsatia, 1953), pp. 263-288. [BX4700.B5 B5]

Colloque de Lyon-Cîteaux-Dijon (1990). Bernard de Clairvaux: histoire,
mentalités, spiritualité. Paris: Éditons du Cerf, 1992. (Sources
chrétiennes, no. 380) [BR60 .S72 no.380]

Bredero, Adriaan Hendrik. Bernard de Clairvaux, 1091-1153: culte et histoire:
de l'impénétrabilité d'une biographie hagiographique. [traduction du
néerlandais, Joseph Longton]. Turnhout [Belgium]: Brepols, 1998. [BX4705.B5
B814 1998]

____. Bernard of Clairvaux: between cult and history. Grand Rapids, Mich.:
W.B. Eerdmans, 1996. [BX4705.B5 B813 1996]

John R. Sommerfeldt, ed., Bernardus Magister : papers presented at the
nonacentenary celebration of the birth of Saint Bernard of Clairvaux,
Kalamazoo, Michigan. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1992. [BX4700.B5
B48 1992]

Jean Marilier, ed. Mélanges Saint Bernard. XXIV congrès de l'Association
bourguignonne des sociétés savantes (8e centenaire de la mort de Saint
Bernard), Dijon: Association des amis de Saint Bernard, 1955.

The Chimaera of His Age: Studies on Bernard of Clairvaux, Studies in Medieval
Cistercian History 5, edd. E. Rozanne Elder and John R. Sommerfeldt.
Kalamazoo: Cistercian Publications, 1980. [BX4700.B5 C49 1978]

> If anyone would like to see the picture I can send an attachment (JPG or
BITMAP as desired) but I am taking the prohibition on generalised attachments
seriously.

good for you.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]