	From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Maureen A. Tilley
	Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 10:19 AM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Re: [M-R] Ad Orientam (sp?)

	The debate on orientation is contentious because we really do not have one straight-line history for orientation. There are early indications of orientation for baptismal rituals but not for Eucharist. The issue is further confused by the fiction of 'liturgical north', i.e., by the idea that no matter which way a church is actually 'oriented', once you are in the building, everyone refers to the altar as being toward the eastern end of the nave.

	Certainly buildings taken over by Christians were not reeoriented and, in many cases, the lay of the land on the site prevented orienting of the church, e.g., St. Peter's in Rome and St. Salsa in Tipasa (now in Algeria). Baptismal fonts were easier to deal with because they were smaller and usually symmertrical.

	Maureen A. Tilley
	Visiting Professor of Theology
	Fordham University
	113 W. 60th Street