Jesus in the S. Clemente figure has a rotulus, surely.

I have blown the S. Susanna picture way up with Gimp, & while the thing
Jesus is holding is still not perfectly clear,  it looks like a rotulus
to me.  The thing the central woman/Mary is holding looks very like a
Byzantine scarf/handkerchief with a decorative woven band at each end.
After experimentation with Gimp on the S. Clemente image, I would guess
that the woman [Sta. Theodora as Mary] also holds one.

DW

Robert Kraft wrote:

> Very interesting, for purposes other than clothing. I've just finished
> a draft of a presentation on the perceptions of "book" as ancient
> (horizontal) scroll technology gradually gave way to codex format.
> Usually, after the 6th or 7th century, scrolls are depicted as
> vertical rotuli (writing parallel to the short edge) or as "ribbons."
> Do I see in the image you gave a rolled up scroll in the hands of the
> central figure (Jesus?)? I hope so, although it is not clear whether
> the artist had in view a horizontal type or a rotulus.
>
> For my draft presentation, which still needs notes identifying the
> images and crediting them, see
> http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/publics/codex/
>
> Corrections, identifications, and additional suggestions are most
> welcome.
>
> Bob Kraft, UPenn
>
> Diana Wright wrote:
>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
>> culture
>>
>> 6th century is, I think, a beginning date.  There is this from S.
>> Clemente, Rome, apparently 9thC.  http://tinyurl.com/5flj3y   I have
>> seen photos of a couple of others, which I cannot now locate.
>>
>> DW
>>

>>> Good eye. To my relatively untrained arthistorical mind, it reminds
>>> me of some of the Hagia Sofia and/or Ravenna images (6th century;
>>> Justinian's time). Long live informed skepticism.
>>>
>>> Bob Kraft, UPenn

>> To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> To send a message to the list, address it to:
>> To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>> For further information, visit our web site:
>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]