Stepping away from CC* and discussions of particular licences...

How do we get the "technologists, legal experts, managers, accountants
and marketers" Nick mentioned, and Naomi's "geeky copyright friends" and
experts together with the museum geeks, collections and curatorial
people so that we can work out sustainable and fair models for dealing
with the different issues around (probably) orphaned works and those we
hold copyright for that might have a value both as commercial products
and as freely available content?

It's clear that there's no single solution, but this thread and related
conversations have made it clear that we need to be proactive about
resolving these issues; whether because we're going to face pressure to
respond to the latest buzzwords, because we think it's the right thing
to do for our content and audiences, because we need plain language
explanations for potential users so that they can do the right thing by
our content, or because the economic apocalypse is coming.

As the pdf of the final report of "Usage of Creative Commons by cultural
heritage organisations"
(http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007) says:

"The complexities of copyright law and the technicalities of licensing
pose difficulties for those wishing to make use of an open content
licence - or to develop a website copyright policy reflective of the
organisation's stance on use and re-use. Several respondents noted a
desire for tools to find out the appropriate application of open content
licences. As many of the respondents operate without a designated person
to deal with copyright issues, easily accessible content on copyright
and licensing will be needed."

Finally, and I should probably put this in a different email, but does
anyone know whether a promise of "immediate takedown" helps satisfy due
diligence issues?

cheers, Mia
(shutting up now, honestly)

Mia Ridge
Database Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London Group
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London. N1 7ED
Tel: 020 7410 2205 / 020 7814 5723
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.museumoflondon.org.uk
Museum of London is changing; our lower galleries will be closed while they undergo a major new development. Visit www.museumoflondon.org.uk to find out more.
London's Burning - explore how the Great Fire of London shaped the city we see today www.museumoflondon.org.uk/londonsburning
Before printing, please think about the environment