mike,

the problem with your experimental design is that
all "museum images" are not created equal. a
small number of iconic objects have a value that
derives from the recognition factor  (and since
people ask for what they know, these are the
works that are often re-published and
re-reproduced.) but it's a very small number.
when we did studies of the content of
introductory art texts, in the context of AMICO,
we found a surprisingly small art history
'cannon'; the same works in most of the text
books. others are entirely fungible, and one can
substitute for another of the same class.

museum images [and that's a misnomer, because
there is a huge variation between a reproduction
of an antony gormley, the landing at dieppe, a
vacuum tube, and a pot shard] have very different
values in different contexts.  and museums have
different goals in reaching different audiences.
which is why the V&A, and The Metropolitan Museum
of Art have developed specific licenses and fee
structures for educational use.

i think the framework provided by CC-plus
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CCPlus would give
the sector a chance to balance often conflicting
mandates. With a bit of co-ordination, we could
find some common terms that could extend the cc
licenses in ways that many museums felt
comfortable with, and satisfy the requirement not
to give away the farm.

/jt

At 5:30 PM +0100 4/17/08, electronic museum wrote:
>All
>
>I think this is a really interesting thread.
>
>Understanding what value can be had from exposure is obviously key. There's
>lots of evidence out there that getting more eyeballs to your
>stuff (and accepting that some "stealing" will take place) is a much better
>business model than hiding your assets away and people simply not getting to
>it at all.
>
>The evidence often clusters around PDFs downloads: see
>http://torrentfreak.com/alchemist-author-pirates-own-books-080124/ where
>Paulo Coelho, author of "The Alchemist" says this:
>
>"In 2001, I sold 10,000 hard copies. And everyone was puzzled. We came from
>zero, from 1000, to 10,000. And then the next year we were over 100,000. [Š]
>I thought that this is fantastic. You give to the reader the possibility of
>reading your books and choosing whether to buy it or not. [Š]
>So, I went to BitTorrent and I got all my pirate editionsŠ And I created a
>site called The Pirate Coelho."
>
>With the demise of music DRM apparently on the horizon, it's a hot topic
>with the major music labels, too. Ian Rogers from Yahoo! wrote a fantastic
>post with slides entitled "Losers wish for scarcity. Winners leverage
>scale". I've written about this on my blog:
>http://electronicmuseum.org.uk/2008/01/14/scarcity-vs-scale/ ...
>
>What would be fantastic (if unlikely) would be if a museum or gallery agreed
>to take part in a quantitative study: take one selection of images and hide
>them away behind watermarking, DRM and thumbnails; take another and make
>these widely and hugely available via Facebook, MySpace, Flickr, blogging,
>etc. Offer both sets for purchase in hi-res, then sit back and measure over
>a period of time. Common sense says that people will steal all the small
>ones and not bother buying: increasing bodies of evidence show the opposite
>is actually true.
>
>I'd personally argue that once stuff is on the web, it's being "stolen"
>anyway, so we can fight this or go with it and do what we can to encourage
>sales off the back of the "scale". But I don't run a picture library so I'm
>more than ready to put my neck on the line
>
>So. Any museums going to step up to the "make it free" challenge? :-)
>
>ta
>
>Mike

>electronic museum
>
>..thoughts on museums, the social web, innovation
>
>w: http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk
>f: http://electronicmuseum.wordpress.com/feed
>e: [log in to unmask]
>

>On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Ridge, Mia <[log in to unmask]>
>wrote:
>
>>  Frankie Roberto wrote:
>>
>>  > At the conference there did seem to be a vague consensus that we
>>  > should be moving towards giving access to these images (the public
>>  > domain ones at the very least) away though - especially with the
>>  > general buzz around Flickr Commons.
>>  >
> [...]

J. Trant				[log in to unmask]
Partner & Principal Consultant		phone: +1 416 691 2516
Archives & Museum Informatics		fax: +1 416 352 6025
158 Lee Ave, Toronto
Ontario M4E 2P3 Canada		http://www.archimuse.com