Frankie Roberto wrote:

> At the conference there did seem to be a vague consensus that we
> should be moving towards giving access to these images (the public
> domain ones at the very least) away though - especially with the
> general buzz around Flickr Commons.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts about this? And what are the
> barriers we need to overcome?

I think we gain more than we lose when we provide access to our images,
but then I'm an old hippie and open source geek.

I think we need to show that it's going to benefit our audiences and our
institutions; and particularly that it's not going to lose money for our
institutions.

I'd love to see the figures for total expenditure on commercial image
licensing and print services versus total income - do these services
currently make a profit, and would that profit be enhanced by increased
exposure and 'discoverability' or would that profit be dented if people
no longer feel the need to pay for images?  Do our museums even know if
their image services are truly profitable, and if so does anyone want to
volunteer their data?

Someone's just started a discussion on the MCN list (http://www.mcn.edu)
with the subject 'Monetizing museum web sites' and that thread might
also throw up some useful suggestions.

cheers, Mia

Mia Ridge
Database Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London Group
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London. N1 7ED
Tel: 020 7410 2205 / 020 7814 5723
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.museumoflondon.org.uk
Museum of London is changing; our lower galleries will be closed while they undergo a major new development. Visit www.museumoflondon.org.uk to find out more.
London's Burning - explore how the Great Fire of London shaped the city we see today www.museumoflondon.org.uk/londonsburning
Before printing, please think about the environment