For those in Montréal at the moment you may be interested to know that I'll be talking at the conference on Saturday about our project (the National Museums Online Learning Project) and how we looked at both OpenSearch and OAI as solutions to the creation of a federated search over the collections of nine national museums and galleries.

I'm hoping to give an idea of our decision making process and how (without giving the game away) it doesn't have to be expensive or complicated - even for those museums with little or no technical staff.

Terry

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/11/08 11:41 AM >>>
Jim and others

Yes, whilst the unto blog below does outline how to create a TEXT/HTML Opensearch for your site that by itself is not very useful

The *real* deal behind Opensearch is the RSS/XML Opensearch feed which allows the important quick and dirty federated search across mutliple repositories (but isn't good for combining results).

I'd encourage every museum to implement the RSS/XML option . . . . it isn't a 5 minute job but if you already have a collection or site search that you control yourself (ie - not google custom search) then formatting the output of a search as an Opensearch-validating feed is no more than a 5 hour task.

If you are being told it IS a 'more than 5 hour task' by your probably outsourced provider then they are either don't understand how it works (and you should find another provider!) OR they are having you on.

Sorry to be so frank but we've had the ability to do this for years and the sector still finds it hard. This is MUCH easier than OAI etc.

Just do it.

Seb

Sebastian Chan
Manager, Web Services
Powerhouse Museum
street - 500 Harris St Ultimo, NSW Australia
postal - PO Box K346, Haymarket, NSW 1238
tel - 61 2 9217 0109
fax - 61 2 9217 0689
e - [log in to unmask]
w - www.powerhousemuseum.com