All

There's been a lot of discussion about mashing, API's, RSS, the "machine
accessible web", etc, both on this list and over here at Museums and the Web
2008 in Montreal...

You might therefore be interested in a workshop I did this week entitled
"Mashing it up:why and how?" (see
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2008/abstracts/prg_335001698.html).

All the slides are available via http://www.mashedmuseum.org.uk - just
follow the links on the homepage.

On this site I am hoping to create an informal community of practice around
the programmatic, lightweight, machine-readable way of approaching data
sharing. I've started by compiling a simple list of machine readable data
sources and mashups. You can add a mashup or data source here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pR6vh1A4FCVs1DlRqF4ymcA.
Obviously, the primary source for this information on the web is
http://www.programmableweb.com but I didn't want to add links to stuff
without permission, or before they are ready for the real world...

There is also a Google Group which we created last year during the UKMW
"mashup day" - I have now opened access up to this at
http://groups.google.com/group/mashedmuseum/ - please feel free to join if
you have particular ideas, examples or questions about these kinds of
approaches.

Almost everyone I've talked to here about mashups and machine accessible
stuff feels that more sharing of information around this is good, and I'm
hoping this is a good place to continue some of the conversations.

Cheers

Mike

electronic museum

..thoughts on museums, the social web, innovation

w: http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk
f: http://electronicmuseum.wordpress.com/feed
e: [log in to unmask]