Hi Judith,

We don't currently scan articles for ILL purposes but it is something
that we have a growing interest in. At a quick glance, the CLA license
for HEIs briefly states that:

"The licence grants rights permitting HEIs to make multiple photocopies
and scan extracts from printed books,  journals and magazines to support
students enrolled on courses of study." Specific exceptions to this can
be found in the lists of excluded works on their site.
(http://www.cla.co.uk/UUKguildhe_members.php)

This applies to manual scanning of hard-copy originals but the
situation's different for material which is 'born digital' and which is
governed by a separate license agreement.

Best of luck,

Chris Streets

Christopher Streets | Information Officer | Social Care Institute for
Excellence (SCIE), 1st Floor, Goldings House, 2 Hay's Lane, London SE1
2HB | Tel: +44 (0)20 7089 6840 (switchboard) | Minicom: +44 (0)20 7089
6893 | Fax: +44 (0)20 7089 6841 | http://www.scie.org.uk

SCIE is a charity registered in England and Wales Reg. No. 1092778,
Company Reg. No. 4289790
Email Disclaimer : http://www.scie.org.uk/email.htm