Annette,

Open Access affects how we access the material but the thing accessed remains the same (article or journal). What I am thinking about are new communication mechanisms that replace, or could replace, even the basic article. I have said before that true innovation comes from the users not the technologists who provide the underlying technology. If you give users a tool they will use it in ways that suits them to achieve their aims, and these are often not what the inventors of the tool intended. When Tim Berners-Lee gave the world the Web he intended it as a method for interconnecting technical and scientific documents. He did not intend the multi-billion dollar commercial and social thing that it has become.

The more intelligent the users the more radical will be the alternative uses they find for the tool and academic researchers are amongst the brightest. Already young researchers are rejecting formal indexing/abstracting services in favour of CiteSeer and Google Scholar. In the past new ideas were floated in conference papers and research seminars. With social networking sites and more academically focussed services based on the SN model (like CiteULike) there may be other outlets and other ways of satisfying the needs once satisfied by the journal and the academic publishing industry (of which academic libraries are a part).

I am too busy doing the day job to keep up with all these changes (and possibly loosing the necessary flexibility of thought with age) but I sense that there are new communication structures being formed by young minds that don't realise they are not supposed to do it that way :-) .

It is sightings of these innovations by real researchers that I am looking for.

Regards,

John.