Hi Pete,

It is typical to authenticate against ADS by attempting to bind using
the credentials provided by the user. This doesn't require any special
configuration on the ADS or, generally, whatever you using to
authenticate the credentials.

Note that it is somewhat more difficult to extract credentials from ADS;
for example, if you wanted to pull the credentials from the directory
and compare them to those provided by the user.

Hope this helps.

josh.