Hiya,

In my view, the only way to maintain a persistent link is to have the
material on your own website and own it yourself.

It is true that proponents of identifies advocate for such systems on
the basis of persistence, however, it seems to me unlikely that agencies
that cannot manage to redirect known URLs will manage to keep identifier
repositories up to date. I have already hit 404s when following DOI
links, and expect a proliferation of them should the system become
widely popular.

-- Stephen

--
Stephen Downes  ~  Research Officer  ~  National Research Council Canada
http://www.downes.ca  ~  [log in to unmask]         __\|/__ Free Learning