Dear All:

I would like to draw your attention to the following session at GSA 2008
in Houston, October this year. Please circulate where you see fit.

T166. *Fault Seals or Conduits? Insights from Hydrologic and Petroleum
Systems*

/GSA Hydrogeology Division; GSA Structural Geology and Tectonics
Division; Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies/
Victor F. Bense, Mark Austin Person
    In recent years, petroleum and hydrologic studies have revealed that
    faults exhibit complex behavior, acting as barriers, conduits, or
    conduit-barrier systems for fluid migration. Fault properties are
    impacted, for example, by the in situ stress state and deformation
    mechanisms such as sand-clay smearing and cataclasis. Significant
    advancements in this field of research have occurred in recent years
    by studying faults in deep and shallow systems. We welcome
    contributions from hydrology and petroleum-based studies that
    consider the hydraulic properties of faults as inferred from fluid
    flow data, field, and quantitative studies.

--
Dr. Victor Bense

University of East Anglia
School of Environmental Sciences