John,
    Ed Poindexter has retired to Ann Arbor and is a great supporter of the Department.
cheers,
eric

On Apr 8, 2008, at 6:29 PM, John Rosenfeld wrote:

John,
In your catalogue of references you list separately from the various geochemical thermobarometers the heading, "piezothermometry." Thermobarometry is synonymous with piezothermometry. "Piezo" is derived from the Greek word, "piezein" standing for "press." What you have listed as piezothermometry should be called solid inclusion piezothermometry or solid inclusion thermobarometry. Geochemical thermobarometers are based on the chemical properties of minerals and mineral combinations to the exclusion of other ways of getting thermobarometric information on metamorphic rocks. But what the work that we at UCLA and UC Riverside and others in the United Kingdom did was to show that there is another way of getting the same information based on physical properties of minerals and their inclusions, namely thermal expansivities and compressibilities and their responses in the form of piezobirefringent [a term that I recall was coined by Ed Poindexter, then at the University of Michigan, referring to birefringence caused by non-hydrostatic stress] haloes in encasing minerals and lattice spacings of encased minerals (cf. the work of J.W. Harris et al., 1970). Thus we called this new method solid inclusion piezothermometry. However the term, thermobarometry, seems to have won general acceptance. To my knowledge the word, thermobarometry, did not exist at the time we coined the term "piezothermometry." But to be aware of some of the older work, metamorphic petrologists should be aware of the synonymy. At the time I had an old Webster that defined "piezometer" as a device to measure pressure and had also observed that Willard Gibbs in his first paper on the thermodynamics of fluids had defined what are now called isobars (after the specialized usage of meteorologists for contours of constant atmospheric pressure) as isopiestic curves (Gibbs, 1873, Trans. Conn. Academy, p. 309-342). Some modern dictionaries restrict piezometers to devices for measuring fluid pressure, but I doubt that Gibbs would have been so restrictive. The modern on-line Merriam-Webster returns to piezometer as the general term for a device to measure pressure:

http://medical.merriam-webster.com/medical/piezometer
http://medical.merriam-webster.com/medical/thermometer

Separately, I will send you a few references, some of which you may want to add to your selected bibliography on solid inclusion thermobarometry. There is now a considerable literature on the subject.

I think what you are providing is a valuable contribution to metamorphic petrology.

Best regards,

John Rosenfeld
<http://www.ess.ucla.edu/faculty/rosenfeld/index.asp>