Hi Matthew,

I have only been focusing on the restored images at the moment, as I have been incorporating a bias correction step into the preprocessing of T1 and FLAIR images.  I do think that multiple iterations of FAST give a more homogeneous output image (with respect to bias).  The old version of FAST often over corrected the bias, whereas FAST4 tends to under correct the bias, however with subsequent iterations it usually tends toward an (accurate) equilibrium.  We tend to get very good segmentation results except in motor cortex and in the thalamus (these are non-human primate scans), however the contrast in these regions is poor due to the large amount of myelin present.

Peace,

Matt.

From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matthew Webster
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 5:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] Fast4 Question

Hello Matt,

                       Thanks for the command line information. It's possible that the differences you are seeing by rerunning with the restored image is due to fast4's initial bias field estimation being different to that used in the -I iterations. Hence by running twice you are getting the initial correction applied twice ( on the original and restored images respectively). I would be very interested if you think that running fast4 twice always gives a better segmentation or if it's data set dependent. The --Hyper option is just a scaling factor ( set to < 0 to auto-estimate ) the --lowpass option is in mm.
Many Regards
Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply.  Here is an example commandline applied to a T1 image:

fast4 -b -o default T1Struct

fslmaths T1Struct -mul default_bias T1Struct_default

fast4 -b -I 8 -o I8 T1Struct

fslmaths T1Struct -mul I8_bias T1Struct_I8

fast4 -b -I 12 -o I12 T1Struct

fslmaths T1Struct -mul I12_bias T1Struct_I12

The files T1Struct_default T1Struct_I8 T1Struct_I12 are all the same.  If I run the default, and then run the default again on the restored image I get a different (somewhat better) result.  Also, what are the units of the --lowpass and ---Hyper smoothing options?

Thanks,

Matt.