Dear Xiaochu,

I think I understand your question: You're comparing the size of clusters with a 0.001 P threshold (0.999 1-P) on the _vox_tstat image and the size of clusters (not their significance) on the _maxc_tstat image.

The answer:  First, a 0.001 significance threshold for 49 DF T image is 3.2651 (by parametric theory), so you might well expect the clusters to be bigger than a raw T image thresholded at 3.5.  BUT, more importantly, the _vox_tstat image is an uncorrected *nonparametric* P-value image, where P-values have been determined by permutation at each voxel.  An 0.001 threshold on that image *is* *not* the same as thresholding the the raw T at 3.2651, since the mapping from statistic values to P-values in the _vox_tstat is different at each voxel.

So, again, it's an apple and oranges problem... clusters found with a 3.5 threshold on a T image, vs. clusters found with a 0.001 on a nonparametric uncorrected P-value image.  If  you try -c 3.2651 you might see less of a difference between the two methods, but I would still expect to see some differences (Interpretation:  No difference = Voxel-wise null distribution is homogeneous, T values mean the same thing everywhere; Big differences = Voxel-wise null distribution varies considerably across the image, T values actually have different significance in different regions).

Hope this helps.

-Tom