  From: Ken Mogg<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:28 AM
  Subject: Serial-killers (and Hitchcock films, including PSYCHO)

  I thank Indra for his post about the Mumbai, India, serial-killer Raman
  Raghav.  I take this matter up, Indra, mainly because it bears out what
  Alfred Hitchcock always knew, and had a character say in one of his films
  (FRENZY, 1972), that 'Religious and sexual mania are often closely linked.'

  Such figures recur in Hitchcock's films, from the eponymous lodger (Ivor
  Novello) in THE LODGER (1926) to Uncle Charlie (Joseph Cotten) in SHADOW OF
  A DOUBT (1943) to, yes, Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) in PSYCHO (1960) and
  Bob Rusk (Barry Foster) in FRENZY.

  The lodger was loosely based on the prostitute-slaying (and eviscerating)
  Jack the Ripper.  (At one point Hitchcock photographed the character with a
  cross-like shadow on his face.)  Uncle Charlie was based on a couple of
  real-life serial-killers, including Earle Nelson, whose principal victims
  were landladies.  One survivor remembered that he had wanted a quiet room
  because 'he was a religious man of high ideals'.  He thought his face
  resembled Christ's.  Norman Bates has religious pictures in his house and
  motel.  He was based, in part, by author Robert Bloch on the killer Ed Gein
  who had lived a reclusive life in outback Wisconsin.  But also, Norman is
  said to have been part-based by Bloch on one Calvin Thomas Beck, horror and
  science fiction fan who published and edited the respected fan magazine
  'Castle of Frankenstein' and was totally dominated by his mother, even after
  his father had passed away (in circumstances reminscent of THE OLD DARK
  HOUSE).  (For more, go to: http://www.bmonster.com/horror29.html<http://www.bmonster.com/horror29.html>.)  I'm told
  that among Beck's interests were 'theosophy, lost continents, and other
  sci-fi fannish fads'.  As for Bob Rusk in FRENZY, he appears to have been a
  composite of such killers as Gordon Cummins, Neville Heath, John Christie,
  and the so-called 'Jack the Stripper' who had recently killed several women
  and dumped their bodies in the Thames.

  America has had many serial-killers who, like Raghav, roamed the highways
  and freeways, picking up victims.  Drifter Henry Lee Lucas claimed 200
  victims, mostly young children and women whom he met during his travels
  across the country during the 1970s and 1980s.

  Now, I see no reason not to suspect that some religious fanatics, even in
  high places, including religious officialdom, aren't driven by a dynamic
  PARALLEL TO or THE MIRROR OF that which drove some of the above-named
  killers.  But I also suspect that NONE OF US is without questionable or base
  motives which, fortunately, have been sublimated in relatively altruistic
  and pro-social (as opposed to anti-social) lifestyles.  (Note.  Some of the
  above killers were clearly damaged goods.  In the case of Earle Nelson, for
  example, it is said that he suffered significant brain damage when, at the
  age of 10, he was knocked down by a streetcar and was unconscious for six days.)

  The Jesuits used to have a saying, 'An idle mind is the Devil's playground'.
   I can almost hear Alfred Hitchcock, the maker of PSYCHO, commenting,
  'That's very wise!'

  If anyone can recommend some relevant texts, or has related thoughts, I
  would be grateful to hear (about) them.

  - Ken M
  http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin/news-home_c.html<http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin/news-home_c.html>

  *
  *
  Film-Philosophy salon
  To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
  Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html>
  For help email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, not the salon.
  *
  Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com<http://www.film-philosophy.com/>
  Contact: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  **

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon