The Harder They Fall??????????  isnt that why the actor is imitating Bogart in front of that poster?

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank, Michael <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 8:40 am
Subject: urgent need for piece of trivia

i'm hoping some filmosopher can answer a small question for me

i screened "breatheless"  for one of my classes and realized to my chagrin that no one in the class had ever even heard of h bogart, much less recognized his iconic status

to give them some sense of who and what he was, i want to show them bogart doing the gesture that belmondo imitates in “breathless” – where he thoughtfully moves his thumb across his lips . . . but i’m afraid i can’t myself remember exactly where to find this gesture . . . i’m thinking that it’s in “big sleep” but since my class meets this afternoon i don’t have the time to start searching through lots of old bogey films to find out . . .  any clues as to where i might find this gesture would be much appreciated . . . [i’m also curious to know whether it runs through a series of films and thus marks the actor’s persona, or whether it is a function of the fictional character in a specific film – but this is less urgent]

thanks

mike

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask]. Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **