From: Arin Basu [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 02 April 2008 23:19
To: Hutchinson Andy
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: how can I show I am an evidence based practitioner

Hi All,

Andy's and Bruce's approach were very interesting. If I may bring
attention to a corollary of the "Stages of Change Theory by Prochaska
and DiClemente (1) here, one may think of synthesizing the two
classifications and bring up something like:

Stage I: EBH-Agnostics (Precontemplators) -- Physicians who are
naively unaware or minimally aware of the need of EBH or actively
resist.

Stage II: EBH-Aware (Contemplators) -- Physicians who are aware of the
basic principles of EBM (they can frame a question, search the
literature, are aware of the principles of critical appraisal, and of
the shared decision making) but have never applied them in their
practice settings

Stage III: EBH-initiators (Preparation) -- Physicians who have started
taking action to use EBH in their day to day practice (as outlined in
the stages 1 and 2 by Andy) but have not yet reached the stage where
they can actively forage and hunt for information

Stage IV: EBH-Actives (Action) -- Physicians who regularly use
principles of EBH in their day to day lives, and meet all the criteria
outlined by Bruce. These physicians belong to the group identified by
Level 3 and to some extent level 4 of Andy's classification (some
extent because they may not have reached a stage yet where they can
help "others" to reach their stage)

Stage V: EBH-Jedi (Maintenance) -- Physicians who are committed to
ebh, and fulfil the crieria for level 5 by Andy (Master Level).

This is still a half-baked idea, but it came to mind reading Andy's
mail. Phys8cians can be operative in various stages of their practice
(?levels), and can probably even shift from one stage to the other,
although it's understood that once they reach stage 4 or stage 5,
there's little chance that they'll revert to stage 1. Etc,

Cheers,

Arin Basu

Reference

(1) DiClemente, C.C., Prochaska, J.O. (1982), "Self-change and therapy
change of smoking behavior: a comparison of processes of change in
cessation and maintenance", Addictive Behavior, Vol. 7 pp.133-42.