Message

I am a proponent of ESOL learners learning more about the UK; i.e. citizenship by another name. I know many of my ESOL learners want to learn about the UK and want to claim citizenship for themselves. But I’d like to bring out some negatives for the moment. I’ve only skimmed through the Green Paper “The Path to Citizenship: Next Steps in Reforming the Immigration System,” but some of the demands for successful naturalisation seem dubious, even totalitarian, demanding the uttermost conformity to an ill-defined set of values, and I quote: ‘putting British values at the heart of the system.’ How can any self-proclaiming pluralistic, multicultural society claim to have a singular set of values? I think ‘values’ in this paper are being used synonymously with ‘laws’. And in this new three stage-process of citizenship, there is a middle probationary period of 3 years, during which I suspect, if you break any ‘values/laws’ your application will fail and you risk deportation.

Some of the sections read like a green paper for offenders doing ‘community service’. This sentence in particular I find jarring: “We propose to speed up the passage through probationary citizenship for those who have demonstrated active engagement in the wider community,” (p.25) compared to “We will also slow a migrant’s progress through the system even where minor offences are committed, so that behaviour that falls below the standards we expect has consequences” (p.7).

Stephen

From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James Simpson
Sent: 10 April 2008 09:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Regional Consultation to the Green Paper

Forwarded: today's first message inviting you to a consultation.

James

Subject: Regional Consultation to the Green Paper

Yorkshire & Humber Regional Migration Partnership

REGIONAL CONSULTATION

Subject:        Response to the Home Office Border & Immigration Agency (BIA) consultation on the Green Paper “The Path to Citizenship: Next Steps in Reforming the Immigration System.”

To:        Relevant stakeholders across the region

Deadline:        Responses to be returned by 4pm on Wednesday 30th April 2008

Format:        Please respond by email, using the attached response template, to:
Ivelina Metchkarova-Taylor, YHRMP, ivelina.metchkarova-taylor@leeds,gov.uk

The Regional Migration Partnership will submit a regional response to BIA based on the replies we receive from our stakeholders and reflecting our view as a regional body.

Attachments:        Summary of the proposals
        Response template as supplied by BIA
The full Green Paper

Both the Green Paper and the response template can be accessed at:
                http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/aboutus/consultations/pathtocitizenship/

Ivelina Metchkarova-Taylor
Information and Projects Manager
Yorkshire & Humber Regional Migration Partnership
4th Floor, Phoenix House
3 South Parade
Leeds LS1 5QX

tel: (0113) 214 3947
fax: (0113) 214 3963

http://www.refugeeaccess.info/yhrmp

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the

intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient,

please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please

delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

The Council does not accept service of legal documents by e-mail.

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]

Stephen Woulds

[log in to unmask]LTD Logo Small

Leeds Thomas Danby
Roundhay Road
Leeds, LS7 3BG
tel: 0113 249 4912 fax  : 0113 240 1967
www.leedsthomasdanby.ac.uk
Principal and Chief Executive Roy Thorpe

 for further information click here

 PBefore you print think about the ENVIRONMENT

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for [log in to unmask] If you are not [log in to unmask] you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify [log in to unmask] immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses Leeds Thomas Danby therefore does not accept responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.