Hi Mike
we don't like the word 'contract' as it implies something that's legally binding on both parties - this is neither realistic nor desirable in the context of learning support where student needs may change considerably and many internal and external factors impact on the situation.  I think we sometimes forget that the needs assessment  is just that - recommendations and guidance - and a basis for the support.

We do give guidance in the form of written/verbal info. to both students and support workers about a range of issues (some of which you alllude to).
thanks
hazel

>>> Mike Wray <[log in to unmask]> 11/04/2008 15:14 >>>
Could anyone please help with a query I received recently from an FE
college. It is to do with contracts for learning support provision. I have
looked in the archives but can't find anything except DfES guidance from
2006 which ahs disappeared. I know people have Individual Learning Plans
and that there have been discussions in te past about non-attendance etc
but does anyone have anything like a contract?:

Our college is looking to formalise the support it gives to HE students
with disabilities by producing a contract between the college and the
student.  The aim is to clearly identify what support is being provided to
the student, the cost of that support and the implications of issues such
as:

- notified absence
- unauthorised absence
- support worker absence
- student leaving college

We are keen for students to be aware of what their support allowance is
paying for in order for them to manage it effectively.

So far, I have only been able to find a discussion paper relating to the
issue of student contracts:

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~shec/studentsupportcontractsdiscussionpaper.htm

I would like to know if there is an example contract anywhere.

Mike Wray
Disability Coordinator
Action on Access

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill University or associated companies.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill University do not actively monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill University to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill University for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.