From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. on behalf of Maiden, Arnold
Sent: Fri 25/04/2008 20:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Social v. Medical Model Terminology

Oh dear this is always so difficult to respond to as it deals with ownership.

I am disabled but I am disabled by the way society decides to do its business not by my by my (multiple) impairments. To explain - if I am a wheelchair user then my wheelchair does not disable me it enables me, I am not wheelchair bound I am a wheelchair user; what disables me is the lack of facilities to get in shops, to go to the loo, etc. I am sure everyone on here understands all these arguments.

So on to language

I am sure that we all understand that using terms like:
The Disabled
The Blind
The Deaf
Dyslexics
etc
are best avoided as they lump people  together without any consideration of the person's individuality.

Describing someone as a person with a disability sounds "user friendly" but it is wrong and it is wrong because it subscribes to a medical model that places the ownership (and responsibility) with the disabled person and not society!

Rant over and I hope that this helps understanding

Arnold Maiden
Assessor & Assistive Technology Adviser
Leeds Metropolitan University