One of my personal dislikes is the use of 'very severely disabled' (or
similar comments); to my mind, saying that I'm a disabled
person/student is enough.  I find the stressing of level of disability
in that way can be unhelpful/reinforce negative stereotypes.

I'm not sure whether unis use it because the NHS/SS do, or whether
it's to try and convey degree of disability.  If the latter is the
case, surely any recommendations made or the fact the staff meet the
student would suffice?