The Commissioner has started to take enforcement action, so I don't think that's a fair comment.

In my opinion, attempting to take enforcement action in this case, if it was possible, would be wildly disproportionate. The Commissioner would have to prosecute every single organisation which had existed and not notified, even if they had started to notify. They would do nothing else and it would cost a fortune. No-one would ever take the IC seriously, ever again.

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Trent
Sent: Thu 17 April 2008 11:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] The Chihuahua and the Speeding Ticket

At what point should patting organisations on the head for eventual compliance finish and enforcement start?

We're back to the Traffic Cop who congratulates you for bringing your souped up Morris Minor to a halt from 105mph, tells you how impressive your driving is because you were able to stop so well, and sends you on your way without a ticket.

This law has been on the statute books long enough.  It's time it was taken seriously by the prosecution authority intended to police it.

Tim Turner wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">
What incentive does the Commissioner have to bite any harder if he doesn't even get the credit for trying? If they get slapped down, maybe they will stop bothering at all.

They have to be proportionate - if an organisation mends its ways, what right does the Commissioner have to go after them unless they don't do it adequately or quickly enough. If your complaint is that the Data Controller in this case has not mended its ways, there's something to be argued about. But if no-one else will have the same problems as you in the future, I think the IC has done precisely what it should do, given its powers and resources.