CCP4 is working properly now. It was a matter of navigating to '/Users/Kat/.CCP4/unix/' in Terminal and using chmod a+rw directories.def and chmod a+rw status.def. Prior to using those two commands I checked with ls -l and got something like rw-r--r--. I shouldn't have had such a hard time fixing this problem but what can I say, I'm a child of Windows 95. Thank you all for your help.

Kurt