  I did that in several cases. At 3.5 -4.5 A you can end up having a
real mess. To check the usefulness, I run refinement with a low x-ray
weight and a high anneal temperature; if the R-free drops, it is a clear
sign that it helps you. I found that it depends in the particular
dataset and stage if it is useful. the attached input file has
additionally an option for B-factor sharpening and the B-factor targets
are increased. Play with rama-energy.
  And one note more, if your model is far off, this makes things worse,
because you fall in the wrong minima of the ramachandran and it's harder
to get out with the rama-potential enabled!! so your model has to be
already quite correct for this to work well.

Cheers,

Jens