From: "Bottomley, Matthew" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:35:46 AM
Subject: [ccp4bb] Setting drops with proteins that are hard to concentrate

Setting drops with proteins that are hard to concentrate

Dear All,

I have a 50kDa protein that is soluble and monodisperse at up to approx 1mg/ml (after Ni-affinity and size-exclusion chromatography).

However, it aggregates (probably both via disulphides and via 'sticky/hydrophobic patches') when I concentrate it towards 2-3mg/ml, even in the presence of several detergents. I don't want to add DTT since my protein should have several intramolecular disulphides....although I do have 2 free Cysteines, partially exposed. I have already tried mutating the Cysteines, with little improvement.

Any suggestions for obtaining 5-10mg/ml?

Does anybody have good experiences with usin L-Arg and L-Glu (e.g. At 50mM)  to aid concentrating (as in the Golovanov AP paper, JACS, 2004, pages 8933...)

Thanks for any input!

Yours,

Matt

Matthew J. Bottomley, Ph.D.